Thursday, January 15, 2009

Ready . . . Set . . . Here We Go!

Well . . . that's it!

Every single thing we own is wrapped in tissue, tape and/or bubble wrap and tightly wedged into meticulously labeled boxes. They are all arranged neatly in rows waiting to be hauled to their new address.

Speaking of new addresses, this morning we got the keys to our new house. Hurray! I was expecting, you know, fireworks, but there were none. Just paperwork. But that's OK. There was a little sparkler going off in my heart all day long today. Sparkle. Sparkle.

Then we all headed over to the new place to clean the kitchen and the bathrooms and to hang a ceiling fan in the master bedroom, because Mom #2 refuses to sleep in any room that doesn't have a ceiling fan. Mostly we were waiting for the man from the gas company to come and connect the furnace. (You know, between 8 AM and 5 PM and if no one over 18 is available when he shows up, it will cost an additional $50 to reschedule the visit.)

It was cold today (In the 50's and I know that's not cold to some of you, but I am not used to anything under 75 degrees.) so Mom #2 had the great idea to light a fire in our brand new fireplace.

I'll take this opportunity to come clean.

I'm deathly afraid of fireplaces. Well, I like the look of fireplaces. I so do love to put mirrors over them and photos and little nick knacks on the mantle, but I do not like open flames. Flames make me nervous. Don't fireplaces let off carbon monoxide? I think they do. Well, if they don't, then we just wasted $40, because I made Mom #2 buy a carbon monoxide detector before I would let her set nary a flame in that fireplace! But every house should have one anyway, especially a house with a gas furnace. Right? Seriously, right? I'm sure I'm right.

So, we had a fire. It was nice, I have to admit. And warm. We must not leave out the fact that it was warm.

So . . . while I scrubbed the last family's old pot roast out of my new stove . . . the rest of the family . . .


*Sigh*


It already feels like home.


The movers will be here tomorrow.



Until next time . . .


10 comments:

Ami said...

It sounds wonderful.

Carbon monoxide detector... GREAT idea. Yes, if you have gas heat, you should definitely have one.

Happy Moving!!

The Foil Hat said...

WOW - you work fast! CO detectors are GOOD things to have. I'm jealous of your fireplace! Can't wait to see more pictures.

Welcome home!

SabrinaT said...

Yes, you absolutely need a carbon monoxide detector.. Better to be safe... What a lovely picture. That fireplace looks fabulous as is.

Happy moving!!

topsytechie said...

Oh man, we've only got one of those gas fireplaces that "pretends" its a real fireplace. And no popping and cracking or any of that good stuff! Jealous much!!! It looks beautiful!

Wendy Hawksley said...

Ooh, moving is such a mix of happy and "grr". I hope you have a smooth move and settle in quickly!

Also totally jealous of your fireplace. :-P

Wendy Hawksley said...

By the way, I have something for you at my blog!

hollysjoy said...

That looks beautiful. At least Baby Boy is old enough not too keep saying, "I'm going to stick my hand in there. I won't get hurt." At least, I think he's old enough. Please tell me he's old enough.

:)De said...

Looks purty!

Katy said...

Well my particular phobia is water but I can totally understand the whole HOLY SHIT FIRE - PANIC thing that you've got going on. I have toilets on lockdown, you have a carbon monoxide detector. Which I don't have and we have fires in the fireplace all the time. I think I should get one now that you mention it...

Rebel said...

Hope you're getting all settled in. We don't have gas anything or I would have a carbon monoxide detector too. I had one when we lived in PA.

Related Posts with Thumbnails